FOLK MUSIC - Recently, about 240 third graders at Queensbury Elementary School, on the southern edge of the park, experienced Adirondack Day: stories, songs, and lessons in the history, art, biology, geography, and ecology of the six-million acre park; and I was privileged to be part of it. My small role was that of a folk singer. Their fascination and involvement with the fabric of the Adirondacks was inspiring, and their appetite for folk music was insatiable.
So when I read in a local newspaper about folk music being background, my heart sank. The entrepreneur of a popular area spot said of a recent performer:
"It's true folk music; it's nice, it's mellow and you can sit and have a conversation with this music in the background and not get interrupted."
I don't own or manage a place where people perform but I sing in many of them and it's hard to think about folk songs this way - the lyrics are such an important part of the art. I'm very grateful for the venues that do encourage active listening. And as for the those who consider folk music to be background, they could learn from some third graders.
"BERGGREN FOLK FAVORITES" - It was great fun making this limited edition album and hearing from so many of you about your favorites. I owe a great debt of gratitude to Alan Bartenhagen who planted the seed and helped bring the production to fruition. All orders have been shipped and there are a few CDs left, so if you missed it in the last newsletter and still want a copy, email me this week with your address. As with all other albums from Sleeping Giant Records, the $15 price include all shipping, postage and tax.
UPCOMING PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS
- June 16: Jamcrackers concert, Indian Lake
- June 24-26: Berggren at Old Songs Festival, Altamont
- July 10: Berggren & Lowman concert, Minerva Lake
- July 12: Jamcrackers at The Boathouse, Schroon Lake
- July 14: Jamcrackers at St. Williams, Raquette Lake
- July 16: Berggren benefit concert for TAUNY, Croghan
- July 18: Berggren concert, Morristown
- July 21: Jamcrackers concert, Saranac Lake
- July 27: Berggren & Duggan square dance, Schroon Lake
- July 28: Berggren & Lowman concert, Edinburg
- July 30-31: Jamcrackers at Champlain Valley Festival, Burlington
- Aug 9: Berggren concert, Martinsburg
- Aug 12: Jamcrackers at Caffe Lena, Saratoga Springs
- Aug 13: Berggren & Lowman concert in Inlet
Hope to see you this summer,